Introduce yourself šŸ‘‹

:nerd_face: Hi! My name is Francesco Riggio, teacher and IT Sysadmin at Mohole school, Web & Digital Media department, in Milano, Italy.
Iā€™m active in the WordPress community as co-organizer of Meetups in the city where I live (Piacenza) and as speaker in WordCamp (Bari 2019) and other Meetups (Milano 2018 and 2020). I like music, sci-fi and the open source.

Iā€™m not a good JS/React developer, but I really like the opportunity that REST API brings, and Iā€™ve tried Frontity, focused to WordPress. Iā€™ve made a working version of my blog in Frontity in few hours, very simple! :blush:
Here is my original blog FFLAB in WordPress and here in Frontity: https://fflab.dev
Iā€™m planning to present Frontity in a future local Meetup talk.
Ciao!

2 Likes

Hey @AnkaaStudio welcome to Frontity, really happy to see agencies coming to Frontity :slight_smile:

Regarding how to get the menus from WordPress, here you have a dicussion where itā€™s explained: How to fetch Menu from wordpress?

Ciao @riggio.francesco welcome to Frontity :blush:

Great to see people so involved in the WordPress community trying Frontity out!

This sounds great! Please let us know if we can support you anyhow. I invite you to open a thread here so you can share with the community how did it go.

1 Like

thank you @Pablo !
I was just watching the video of your talk at Js Nation Live 2020! Iā€™ll plan a talk in September 2020, hereā€™s our WordPress Meetup Piacenza Page. Weā€™ll release the event in live conference mode, we have to confirm the platform, if Google Meet with free request on our Meetup page or also live streaming (FB or YT). Itā€™s a local group, so weā€™ll speak in italian. The topics will be brief presentation of Rest API, Frontity and my little case history, my blog [https://fflab.dev] (https://fflab.dev) hosted in NOW, how I made it, hosted and customized the Twenty Twenty Frontity Theme relating the original WP blog https://fflab.info/blog that is made with Twenty Twenty WP Theme + some child theme customization, comparing performance with Page Speed, GTMetrix and Lighthouse.
My blog in Frontity is only a basic proof of concept, ( :nerd_face: and lot of nerd fun in made it!) the blog rendered with Frontity is missing the widgets (footer) and the comments. Iā€™d really appreciate if you have some hints about it, if and when Frontity will support that features (Iā€™m reading some post about it in your forum). Thank you again!

1 Like

This sounds great :smiley: Keep us posted, and again, if you feel like we can support you somehow, please open a thread here

Regarding the comments, we are about to launch an official package: WordPress comments package stay tunned to our releases. For the widgets and the footer, I guess youā€™ll have to code that in the theme yourself, in any case feel free to open a thread here with your specific case if you need help :blush:

1 Like

Thanks @Pablo!
That really worked well! :+1:

1 Like

Hi ! I am new to Frontity ! As I was researching JS framework to build user interface for Wordpress LMS system. Great to be here.

Thanks

2 Likes

Great to have you here as well @pyofchin, welcome to the Community!

I havenā€™t formerly introduced myself here, but Iā€™m registered for over a month. So itā€™s long overdue to do thisā€¦

I am Dominique Pijnenburg, Iā€™m one of three owners of a Dutch company called Noeste IJver (website). the developer part of our company isspecialized in developing custom WordPress websites. The other half of the company is focused on designing those custom sites, but also corporate identities, logoā€™s, etc.

We are looking into Frontity, I expect it might be the way-to-go for us to develop sites in the future, instead of the PHP based themes which we create now.

2 Likes

Hey @dominique great to have you here :blush:

May I ask how far do you see yourselves from transitioning to Frontity? If thereā€™s something blocking you, could you share with us what is it?

We are constantly improving our product and docs, and this kind of info is really valuable.

Hey @Pablo!

Thereā€™s still many challenges to overcome for us, I will highlight some of these below. I am considering rebuilding our companyā€™s site in Frontity as a case, to learn more about Frontity and see what questions will pop up during the process.

React
As mentioned above, my company is still living in a PHP world. We use JS for manipulating pages (and we mainly use jQuery for that), React is no common ground for us yet. So we have to educate ourselves.

No blogs, but corporate sites
We donā€™t really build many blog sites (where Frontity is perfect for), but Corporate sites. Some examples:

https://regionaleaanpakkindermishandeling.nl/
https://leadinfo.wpmudev.host/en/

I havenā€™t seen many examples for these kind of sites yet, the only one that comes close is the frontity.org site itself, but thatā€™s just one page.

Gutenberg?
I am still a bit on a loss on how to use Gutenberg best. I know itā€™s possible to import the CSS file of the editor in your Frontity installation and then the default Gutenberg blocks will work. But Iā€™m not sure how to implement custom Gutenberg blocks. Do I have to import a CSS file for every custom block?

Iā€™ve also seen your talk on javascriptforwp about supporting Gutenberg and would like to re-watch it, but this isnā€™t possible yet. I donā€™t really have a clue about how youā€™ve added those custom blocks. Furthermore Iā€™d like to see (and use) the front page of frontity.org in Gutenberg, maybe thatā€™ll clear things up.

Previews
I know you guys are working on this and I am very curious how it will work, but for now this is something thatā€™s missing

Gravity Forms
We like the functionality of Gravity Forms very much, in my opinion itā€™s a much better plug-in then Contact Form 7. But CF7 has a Frontity package with support for some of the fields, Gravity Forms doesnā€™t. Iā€™ve added a feature request for this on their site, but Iā€™m unsure how fast (if ever) they will pick that up.

WooCommerce
I havenā€™t invested much time in this, but I think creating a webshop with Frontity should be possible. But at the moment it seems like a lot of work to support all functionality of WooCommerce in Frontity. Feels like ā€˜reinventing the wheelā€™.

Live filtering
We use the plugin Search & Filter Pro a lot for live-filtering archive pages. Iā€™m unsure on how to implement such a solution in a Frontity website.

Some more questions
Currently Iā€™ve also posted some questions on the forum and am awaiting answers, but this is just the tip of the iceberg:

2 Likes

Hey @dominique thank you very much for your detailed answer :blush:

Corporate sites
Itā€™s true that it can look like Frontity is more focused on WordPress blogs than in WordPress corporate sites, as our official themes are for blogs. In any case, I think that Frontity is also a really a good fit for corporate sites as well, as you can build a really performant UI with instant navigation that will create a great impression on the visitors. A really good example of this is the awsm.in website (showcase thread). Iā€™m really excited about the upcoming release of the auto-prefetch, this will allow everyone to make any page-load feel instant in a really easy way.

Gutenberg?
As soon as the talks of the JavaScript for WordPress conference are available on Youtube @SantosGuillamot is planning to write a detailed guide explaining how we built our site and the best practices to combine Gutenberg and Frontity.

Good to know that thereā€™s interest on this area.

WooCommerce
I know that @juanma and @mburridge are experimenting the current possibilities, and are planning to release a Frontity Talk video sharing their research combining WooCommerce and Frontity.

Right now I think that the best resource is this thread: How do I add woocommerce endpoint to the state?

Live filtering
I invite you to open a thread and share your research and the challenges encountered with the plugin that you mention.

Happy to see that you are actively sharing your questions in the community and also helping others!

See you around :blush:

4 Likes

Hi @dominique,

I havenā€™t seen many examples for these kind of sites yet, the only one that comes close is the frontity.org site itself, but thatā€™s just one page.

In addition to what @Pablo mentioned, here are a few more examples:

You can also check them out in our showcase page: https://frontity.org/showcase/. We are planning to add more as soon as we have the permission of their authors and clients. :slight_smile:

Hope it helps!

6 Likes

Hello my Name is Alfredo Navas, from Costa Rica, I work as a Frontend Engineer at WebDev Studios, really excited for what I can build with Frontity

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Alfredo!

Hi

Iā€™m Osi. I just started using frontity for clients projects.

Iā€™m glad such a tool exists

3 Likes

Hi @vicraph7, welcome! Great to have you here! :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking forward to seeing your projects and hearing from your experience. Keep us posted on your progress.

Hi everyone!, my name is Riccardo Tagliavia restarting a web developer career after a decade and catching up.
Love Frontity and Iā€™m currently using the platform for the redesign of a large University in PanamĆ”.
Have to be honest online resources on Frontity are a bit scarce, will add to my personal site a tutorial on the platform in Spanish to contribute.

Thanks for this awesome project!

2 Likes

Hey @rtagliavia welcome to the community :blush:!

This sounds awesome! Keep us posted on this project, we would love to see the result.

Thanks for your feedback and your offering. Iā€™d be great if you can contribute with a tutorial :blush: Regarding the available online resources, I invite you to take a look to this playlist where we are gathering some community tutorials.

Thanks for the warm welcome Pablo!, already followed all the videos in that playlist along with some others.

To be honest Iā€™m having a hard time with the CPTs, but decided to hold on that part for a couple days and get a grasp on the BeforeSSR and the handlers.

After reading the community posts I want to thank the Frontity team for being so helpful.

Will be posting detailed info about the project, after getting permission from the client.

Wish you all an amazing day!

1 Like