Introduce yourself 👋

Hello! :wave:

New to the Frontity Community? Welcome aboard!

We’re glad you are here. I’m Mario, part of the Community Team. Feel free to get in touch if there’s anything I can help you with :smile:

Now it’s your turn. Tell us a little bit about yourself, and what you’re into :speaking_head:

7 Likes

Hello there! :raised_hands:

I’m Pablo Postigo, 29yrs old, Software Engineer, born and raised in Madrid (Spain).

Together with @luisherranz I founded Frontity back in 2015, and I’ve been full time involved in the WordPress ecosystem since then. But I started using WordPress even before, my first blog was launched back in March 2009!

I’m passionate about startups and creating things on the internet. I also love food :ramen: and travelling :flight_departure:, if you are curious you can take a look to my Instagram account here where I post pictures of all my trips: https://www.instagram.com/iamposti/. You can also ping me on twitter @iamposti

Looking forward to meet everybody who joins this community!

6 Likes

Hi! :wave: My name is Reyes, I’m from Madrid and I work in Communications at Frontity.

I came over to Frontity some time ago now, after living in Portugal and Northern Ireland for a couple of years. I still miss the galão (Portuguese coffee) and the green surroundings of the Antrim coast. :shamrock:

I like listening to music, singing, watching series, vegetarian food & roller coasters - the usual stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

I also enjoy traveling, visiting new places and photography. Recently started going to some places round Southeast Asia (Malaysia and Vietnam), wondering where I should go next! :flight_departure:

Feel free to say hello!

4 Likes

Hi!
My name is Seth Rubenstein and I’m the lead developer at the Pew Research Center.
My team is moving very heavily into React and I see the benefits of a development team sharing components in our workflow AND how code-splitting/server-side-rendering with React could be amazing for that.

We run a heavily trafficked news website at https://www.pewresearch.org, we’re hosted on WordPress VIP and we’re a very heavy PHP/JS classic WordPress dev shop that I’m trying to take us into the future into being a “React first” shop.

I’ve looked into Gatsby, and NextJS and I’m left really struggling with how we’d handle redirects is our biggest blocker. Maintenance, redirects, seo are all big concerns of mine and Frontity sounds like it could solve those issues.

I can’t wait to start playing with the Beta and diving in deep.

5 Likes

Hey @seth, welcome to our community :relaxed:

We are building Frontity for sites like yours, so we’d love to hear more about your needs. Gatsby and Next.js are great but they are not focused on WordPress exclusively. We want to take it one step further and make everything much simpler for WP developers.

Could you please open one topic for each one of your concerns in the Dev Talk & Questions category to make sure they are properly addressed in Frontity?

Thanks!

1 Like

By the way, I haven’t introduced myself properly yet.

My name is Luis and I’m one of the developers of Frontity. I’ve been working with WordPress since 2010 and with React since 2015. I love both.

My passion is to design things. I studied Telecom Engineering and I started my professional career as a Sound and Acoustics Engineer, but I’ve been coding since I was 11.

Before Frontity I started a company called TrainYourEars and I have a side project called HertzLovers where we are experimenting with open source furniture.

2 Likes

Hi :wave: I’ve been here for a while, but I still had not introduced myself!

I’m David Arenas, software developer at Frontity.

Well, about me, I love programming: it’s kind of building amazing things just using a text editor. I remember when I was a child and played videogames that I had a better time creating custom levels or even modifying a videogame by making a mod than actually playing it. In fact, I went into programming for making videogames, and so I studied a degree in computer engineering. But after that, I quickly went to web programming.

Now I have a pretty good level of web technologies: HTTP servers, HTML, CSS, JavaScript (both from Node.js and the web browser), although I’m focused on React. I think I prefer front-end (the pretty part :grin:), and Frontity mostly deals with that (I love this project, btw :sparkling_heart:).

I’m also a metalhead! :metal::metal::metal: For some years now, (technical) death is my favorite flavor of metal. And I play the guitar in a band too! (called Survael).

5 Likes

Hi,

My name is Jorge, I’m a 39 year old ¿marketer/developer? fascinated about technology.

See you soon!

3 Likes

Hi @jorge! Welcome to our humble community! :smile:

I didn’t introduce myself yet, so here I go:

I’m Eduardo, and I’m a developer :sweat: (Everybody else in the room: Hi Eduardo!)

Before being a developer I studied Architectural Engineering and Law, but none of them worked out. However, programming allows me to create new things where there was nothing before, and I freaking love that feeling.

I also like talking about politics, discussing how insignificant humans are in this vast universe, listening to music in different languages, playing videogames, and walking by the sea. I can’t live far away from the sea. That’s why you can usually find me in my beloved Galicia, eating polbo a feira (octopus to the party) and drinking licor café.

And that’s it about me! :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi all, I am a longtime open source consultant. I’ve been focused pretty exclusively on WordPress for about ten years now. Frontity makes a lot of sense, post-Gutenberg. I’m not sure it’s something my typical client is as likely to need, but I try to keep up on what’s happening in the WordPress community out of general interest and for my side-job (alongside many side-jobs) writing and editing for Post Status. Reyes very kindly answered some questions I had, which we’ll be sharing with our readers soon. I am looking forward to seeing how the project develops!

5 Likes

Welcome @dan!

Indeed we think that Gutenberg is one of the main trends that’s going to make React popular in WordPress, and a tool like Frontity is going to be critical for frontend developers.

Thanks a lot for your interview I can’t way to see it posted :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all,

I am Marika Könönen 37-years-old mom of three. I changed from economic to tech 12 years ago and I got bachelor degree in software engineering. Even learning to code was really hard for me, I felt in love with it.

After graduating I got a job in a big tech company but somehow I wasn’t really coding there. I worked as a performance tester of telephone networks but even I coded test automation or some tools for my team usage, I wasn’t happy because my main task wasn’t coding. I left from that company while I got my 3. kid. He will be 4 on next summer and I have had family company couple of years: my husband is a lock smith and I do different coding stuff. At first I teached kids to code but then I was again at the same situation; I didn’t code as my main task so I stopped teaching on last December. After that I have just focus on coding and I have got small freelancer job’s to do.

I have focus on web programming over an year now and my goal is to be full stack web developer/freelancer. The journey has been challenging, because there are so much to learn and I want to stay as a freelancer (mainly because of the kids, they need me at home). I started WordPress theme coding last autumn, because I got some freelancer job then. I was learning React at the same time and I participated Hackathon also, which was success, our team won it. I didn’t knew then that I can do front-end with React and I was quite sad that I had to code WordPress theme in “old fashioned”.

This year I found out that I can combine WordPress and React, which is amazing. I have continued studying React and also WordPress, because I am quite newbie on modern web development techniques. Now I found Frontity framework and I am very excited about it!

Sorry, a long story. I also love writing. :joy: :laughing:

3 Likes

Welcome @marika.kononen!

What an inspiring journey :blush:

It’s great to hear that you have been combining WordPress and React for a year. It would be great if you could share your experience, What where the main challenges you faced?

2 Likes

Hi @dan! Thank you for joining us! Glad to see you here! We are really looking forward to reading the interview in Post Status! :blush:

I also saw that you run New Local Media and help building websites. If there is anything at all Frontity can help with, do not hesitate to ask!

1 Like

Welcome @marika.kononen!

I’ve felt a bit identified with some of the situations you mentioned. I studied Journalism and when I joined Frontity (some time ago now), I didn’t have a technical background, so it was quite challenging for me. Now I’m really excited to be part of this project and can’t wait to learn more!

I am also really happy to see more women joining us! Thank you for sharing your story. Really inspiring. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! I’m Javier Serrano I am the CTO of Diariomotor. We already use Frontity in one of our blogs and we want to test and contribute with this new open sourced version!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community Javi! :grin:

1 Like

Hello! I’m Twan, i work as a freelance designer / developer. I’ve been waiting for this, finally digging into react :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome @twan! Thanks for joining our community :smile:

Glad to hear that you were looking for something like Frontity to combine WordPress and React, we are sure you are going to love it. If you have any doubt, don’t hesitate to ask :blush:

hello,
im Kai Buskirk
im super excited to learn more…
any road map?

thanks,
kai

2 Likes