Introduce yourself 👋

Las Vegas

2 Likes

Thanks for your suggestion @kai! I’m actually thinking about a 2 week trip to the US this year. Don’t know the travel itinerary yet but I’d love to visit Las Vegas! It must be fun! :smile:

1 Like

Welcome @kai! Nice to have you here :relaxed:

We are working really hard to have the beta as soon as possible. If not today, it will be available during this week. Here you have a topic where you can follow its progress ✅ Beta Roadmap & Progress

If you have any doubt don’t hesitate to tell us and we will be glad to help you! :grin:

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Here is Sodiq from Lagos, Nigeria.

Just heard about Frontity, cant wait to get started

2 Likes

Hi @sodiq.akinjobi and welcome to the community. I think you’re the first member of Nigeria to join. Such a beautiful country, isn’t it? :relaxed:

We are a bit delayed with the beta version but it is imminent. We are just finishing it up. We eager to know what you think!

2 Likes

Hello, World~

I am Sung M. Kim from New York City, the Big :apple:.
I have been mostly working with backend (.net, sql server) and but found a new love in frontend world and has been making a transition to a frontend role.

My choice of frontend view library has been React and been enjoying it quite much and just started learning about GraphQL, PWA (https://undraw.netlify.com/ - An Offline-first PWA app for searching & downloading Undraw illustrations), and Gatsby.

I found out about Frontity from a dev.to post by Reyes Martínez, and I found it interesting as I was manually trying to create a static version of my WordPress blog.

The challenge while trying to create a static version of WordPress site using Gatsby was that, it was the plugin required to fetch WordPress data and having to create a normalization in gatsby-nodes.js to turn the WordPress data to be consumable with GraphQL.

The most challenging part was embedded GitHub gists, which I had to call GitHub to “evaluate” the javascript file to get the actual gist content.

Gatsby has so much flexibility as a general framework, it can do quite much but sometimes I’d need some opiniated way to get the WordPress data without having to “massage” the data.

See ya folks around~

• Sung M. Kim
3 Likes

Hi @sungmkim80! It’s nice to have you here!

Frontity is definitely more opinionated towards WP. We have one package called @frontity/wp-source (docs here) that will handle all the fetching from your WP site. You just need to setup your site apiUrl in the frontity.settings.js file in your Frontity project.

Then you’ll use something like actions.source.fetch("/category/nature/") from your theme in order to get the data. In case you want to have a look, here is our starter theme repo where you can see how it’s done.

We hope you enjoy Frontity! See ya!

EDIT: Also, thanks for sharing your experience with gatsby so we can understand better where developers struggle when building sites for WP with React :smile:

2 Likes

hello, Reyes
and thank you for the note…
You will want to come to LAs Vegas during My Trade Fair
Its the Largest in my industry and in the western hemisphere…
im hoping to colab with others and may need some help if you are available.
athe the university where i am on the board the young people would benifit from frontity>
Im on linkedin most of the time… curating startups hope to connect for Las Vegas
Cheers,
Kai

2 Likes

thanks santos!

1 Like

Sounds good @kai! I’ll keep you posted if I finally have the chance to go to Las Vegas, I would be happy to collaborate :slight_smile:

Hi all!

I’m Carlos, a full-stack developer based in Madrid. Also, I founded a dev community called “Open Source Weekends”.

I met Frontity on its very beginning, and I’ve always been impressed with the performance this framework has, and the incredible achievements of the team.

Now, I’m very happy to see this project grow. I will be testing it this weekend, so expect comments and feedback :laughing:

3 Likes

So happy to have you here Carlos! :raised_hands:

Hi! :wave:
My name is Jesús, I’m designer and frontend developer, I’m from La Rioja.
I love WordPress, I have developed a couple of plugins for the new editor and I’m an organizer the local wordpress meetup.
The little that I have tried of Frontity has enchanted me and I am already looking forward to trying the new utilities that you are developing.
I will be attentive to the project :eyes:

6 Likes

Welcome @CodingCarlos (Carlos), can’t wait to hear your feedback :slight_smile:

Hey @jesus.designer welcome to the community! Nice to hear that you like Frontity so far :slight_smile:

Oh, which ones? Are they public? Did you use React?

Yes, you can take a look at the github repositories

2 Likes

Beautiful code there Jesús! :smile:

Hola Jesús!

Welcome! We’re helping organize a WordPress meetup for Devs here in Madrid. The first one is taking place the 12th of June. It would be great if you could come or join us as a speaker next meetups (they’ll be back in September/October).

Meetup for devs great idea, that date is bad for me but I would like join as a listener :wink:

1 Like