Which categories should we use in the forum?

We already have some ideas in mind about how to organize the forum

Frontity Framework

• Core Design & Development
    Discuss core design and its development.
  • Sources
    Discuss the different sources we support, the source API and so on.
  • Routers
    Discuss the different routers we have, the router API and so on.
  • Settings
    Discuss the different settings extensions we have, the settings API and so on.
  • WordPress plugins and themes
    Discuss the Frontity WP plugin, other separate plugins, the PHP theme bridge and so on.
  • Announcements
    For releases and updates.

Community organization

• Forum
    Discuss how to improve the forum organization
  • Events
    Inform, propose and discuss about new events related to the community.

Content & Resources

• Documentation
    Discuss how to improve the documentation
  • Articles
  • Guides and tutorials

Showcases

People may want to post their webs in order to inspire other Frontity users

Unanswered/Unsolved

It may be interesting to have an easy way to find all unanswered topics where users will help to each other. This doesn’t need to be a category itself, it can be accessed through the query ?max_posts=1 for the unanswered topics and using ?solved=no for the unsolved topics.

@SantosGuillamot could you please edit your OP (opening post) to include categories and subcategories?

For the Frontity Framework I propose to start with these subcategories:

Frontity Framework

• Core

• Sources

• Routers

• Settings

Discuss the Frontity WP plugin, other separate plugins, the PHP theme bridge and so on.

• Announcements
    For releases and updates.

I’m sure there are more, but it’s a start.

I won’t name the category Content marketing, only Content or Content & Diffusion.

These are the first subcategories that come to my mind:

• Content & Diffusion - Documentation
  • Content & Difussion - Articles
  • Content & Difussion - Guides and tutorials

Maybe @Reyes has something to say here :relaxed:

1 Like

Could we add some category for the code & repository organization in Frontity Framework? I’m trying to figure out in which subcategory could fit a discussion about that. Maybe inside Core Design & Development?

You can post in Frontity Framework (no subcategory) as well.

Ok, fine. I’ll do that!

Thanks @luisherranz, I think those subcategories are a great starting point! :slight_smile: I’d say as well to leave the category name as “Content” or “Content & Resources” (instead of Diffusion).

1 Like

What about Content & Communication?

This can be useful as inspiration: https://npm.community/

I love the colours, the emojis and the category descriptions.

1 Like

I like it but the word Communication can be confusing as it has a wider meaning. The more descriptive is the name of a category the better. If I see a category called “Content & Communication” I would expect to find a lot of things such as announcements, releases, informal communications amongst members, articles, social media topics, events, etc. Is this the place where we’re going to discuss all of these things? If so, then it can be a good name. However, under the “content & communication” name I would not expect to find resources such as docs or tutorials.

My thoughts:

announcements: no, this will have its own category, like in npm
releases: no, this will go in announcements
informal communications amongst members: no, this will be something like “random”
articles: yes
social media: yes
events: yes (not for a “Frontity conference” but for people who wants to talk about Frontity in events)

Not the docs or tutorials themselves but the process of creating/updating them.

What I don’t like about Content & Resources is that this won’t be a place to find resources but only to talk about what resources should we create and the process of creating them. Most resources if not all will be in the frontity.org site.

I’m trying to find a better word for “Diffusion” that express that this is the place to talk about how to help people discover Frontity, but I didn’t find anything better yet. Ideas? :slight_smile:

Oh, ok! I misunderstood concepts, sorry. I thought you also wanted this category to be a place to find related resources (e.g. docs/guides or tutorials on how to solve particular issues).

However, I still find it confusing to use a “Content and Communication/Diffusion” category to talk about what resources should we create or how to improve our docs.

Why not create a Support category like npm to include such topic and similar ones (guides of how to…, suggestions to improve docs/resources, troubleshooting)?

And what about Content and Marketing? :slight_smile:

If you don’t like it either, I think we can leave it as Content & Diffusion. It’s not a bad name if we have a different site for resources.

Ok, we can use Content and Marketing if it’s clear that it is a place to talk about how to help people discover Frontity :slight_smile:

Any other input? @Pablo, @SantosGuillamot?

I am still not sure what we want to discuss in this category. Documentation, guides, and tutorials would be placed in another category (support for example) and we would discuss articles, events, social media and other ways of reaching new people?

I agree with @Reyes Diffusion or Communication where a bit confusing, I’m okey with “Content and Marketing”.

I’ve been taking a look to the npm community forum as well and I really like their approach. I think it’s a good idea to use emojis, colors and category descriptions the same way they do.

This is my proposal of categories that we should use in the forum, @SantosGuillamot @Reyes @luisherranz, let me know what you think. I mixed the npm.community with your requests. I’m not totally convinced with the Content and marketing subcategories, @Reyes just adjust them to your needs.

:mega: Announcements

Better description needed

• Releases

:frontity: Frontity Framework

• :sparkle: Core Design & Development
  • :railway_track: Sources
  • :repeat: Routers
  • :gear: Settings
  • :bulb: Ideas
    This is your place to bring up rough ideas and new features!

:books: Content and Marketing

• Articles
  • Social media
  • Events

:stadium: Showcases

Better description needed Show what you have accomplished and be proud!

:hugs: Support

• :thinking: How do I?
  • :wrench:Troubleshooting

:bug: Bugs

:ping_pong: Random

Better description needed A place for informal chatting

:thought_balloon: Meta

Talk about this forum, how it works, and how we can improve it.

• :parasol_on_ground: Sandbox
1 Like

Yet another iteration over this. Criticize, please :smile:

:mega: Announcements

• :mega: Releases

:frontity: Framework Design & Development

• :sparkle: Core

• :nail_care: Themes
    Discuss the different themes, their APIs and so on.

• :control_knobs: Extensions
    Discuss the different extensions, their APIs and so on.

• (WP emoji) WordPress plugins
    Discuss the Frontity WP plugin and other useful plugins.

• :bulb: Ideas & Feature Requests
    This is your place to bring up rough ideas and new features!

:hugs: Framework Support

• :thinking: Questions: How do I?
    how to do this or that with Frontity!

• :bug: Bug reports
    formal bug reports

:books: Communication

• Articles

• Social media

• Events

:family_man_woman_girl_boy: Community

• :stadium: Showcases
    Show what you have accomplished and be proud!

• :thought_balloon: Forum
    Talk about this forum, how it works, and how we can improve it.

• :ping_pong: Random
    A place for informal chatting

1 Like

I like the idea of having a category for Community. This could be also used to have a pinned topic explaining the progress as developers are doing right now.

I just have two questions:

• I can see you propose to limit the Support category just to the Framework. Could be possible that users have questions not related to the framework nor the forum? For example, if users have questions about other community tools such as Wordpress site, future tools we may be using, or about frontity.org project (how it is organized, how to contribute, etc), where should they post them?

• Isn’t the Bug subcategory big enough to be a category itself? I am not sure about this and I would prefer to have as less parent categories as possible, it is just to clarify it and be sure it is correct as a child of Framework Support.

Don’t you think that should go in the Framework Development category itself? If I’m a developer I don’t think I’d go to Community looking for the progress of the development.

Yeah, you’re right, although we should keep one only for technical questions. The other questions (community/communication/project…) will come from a different group of people and mixing them don’t make much sense.

What’s your suggestion for those other questions?

I don’t think that having Bugs inside Framework Support creates confusion so let’s go with fewer parent categories as possible and we’ll see how it goes.

Yes, I didn’t explain it right. I meant that it is a good idea to have a topic explaining the progress of Community, as developers are already doing in Framework Development. But I agree it is correct to continue their topic in Framework Development and start a new one in Community.

Thinking of this again maybe those questions should be posted inside Community / Communication (without subcategory). However, I am not sure if users will try to fit the questions into a subcategory too. What do you think?

Oh, sure.

Yeah… I think that way too. The Discourse UI doesn’t make clear that you can post in a category (without subcategory) so it should be more clear than that.