Which categories should we use in the forum?

Then, I would just change a bit Communication and Community categories.

First of all, I would add a subcategory to Communication to talk about new ideas or questions about this category. Could it be Communication strategy/Roadmap? For Community, I would add something like “About us” to talk about the community, what can be improved and the project itself.

In addition, I would change the subcategory “Communication - Events” to something similar to “Communication - Word of Mouth/Talk about Frontity!” and I would include Events as a subcategory below Community to talk about events community organizes or events users consider interesting to go to.

I feel that if we wanted Communication - Events just for people who wants to talk about Frontity it could be confusing and we would need a place to talk about the events organized or interesting for the community.

Once we decide a better name for the subcategories, I think we would cover most of the topics, and we can always add new categories/subcategories in the future.

:books: Communication

Better description needed

• SELECT NAME
    Communication questions? New ideas? Bring them up here
  • Articles
  • Social media
  • Word of Mouth/Talk about Frontity!

:family_man_woman_girl_boy: Community

• About us
    Talk about the community, what can be improved and the project itself
  • :stadium: Showcases
    Show what you have accomplished and be proud!
  • :thought_balloon: Forum
    Talk about this forum, how it works, and how we can improve it.
  • :calendar: Events
  • :ping_pong: Random
    A place for informal chatting

@SantosGuillamot I don’t understand the purpose of this subcategory. Could you explain it a little bit? As per its description, it looks like it is for posting “communication questions” - I find it quite confusing and would be more specific.

I don’t see neither the point of having a subcategory called “About us” in the Community. I mean, I don’t like that name because it seems that it is a category to talk about “us”, the team behind the project and not the community.

In any case, these are my suggestions for both categories:

• Articles
    Would you like to see more posts about a specific topic? Feel free to send your suggestions to the community, gift ideas about topics you would like to write about, or simply share your recommended reads.

• Spread the word
    Want to talk about Frontity in your local meetup? Would you like to start an initiative to help promote the project globally? Whatever your idea is, feel free to share it with the community for support and help.

• :stadium: Showcases
    Show what you have accomplished and be proud!
    Get involved with the Frontity Community through special events.
  • :thought_balloon: Forum Feedback
  • :speaking_head: Frontity Chat
    General chat about all things Frontity. Feel free to ask anything you’d like.
  • :ping_pong: Random Chat
    A place for informal chatting and off-topic threads that don’t fit anywhere else.

Actually, I think we could leave the “Forum Feedback” as a parent category. What do you think?

I really like this change and I was about to propose the very same name than Reyes: Spread the word!
It’s much more welcoming than Events. We should find a cooler name for Articles as well :slight_smile:

I like the idea of the About us, but I agree with Reyes, we need to find a better name because it look like the About us page of the websites too much.

And I think that if we have a category to talk about the community, we don’t need a category to talk about the Forum which is only the tool we use for the community.

• :thought_balloon: About us => great, but we need a better name
    Talk about the community, what can be improved and the project itself

• :thought_balloon: Forum => removed in favor of the above one

One last comment: I really like the one-line descriptions of the npm forum. I think they are super clear and easy to read. I’ll try to stick with one-line descriptions when possible.

I see a problem, though. In the homepage, only the descriptions of the main categories are visible. I don’t know if we can change that, but if we can’t, it’s a problem because the name is the only thing users are going to read.

It changes a lot!! So I think we should give it more priority to find better subcategory names.

:frontity: Framework Design & Development

Get involved in the framework design and its development.

• :sparkle: Core
  • :nail_care: Themes
  • :control_knobs: Extensions
  • [WP] WordPress plugins
  • :bulb: Ideas & Feature Requests

:hugs: Framework Support

Have questions? Did you find a bug?

• :thinking: Questions: How do I?
  • :bug: Bug reports

Love Frontity? Let’s spread the word!

• SELECT NAME
  • Articles
  • Social media
  • Spread the word

Join the community…

• :thought_balloon: Community Feedback & New Ideas
  • :stadium: Showcases: show us your site!
  • :ping_pong: Random Chat

My idea was to add a subcategory for general topics about communication, questions and ideas that wouldn’t be included in Articles or Social Media. I think these questions should go in Communication category itself, but I feel users will try to fit it into a subcategory too, so maybe it is a good idea to have one for this.

I agree with both of you that “About us” it is not the best name for it, but I would keep this category changing the name.

An iteration over Frontity Support, to embrace a wider range of conversations.

:hugs: Dev Talk & Questions

bugs, questions, interesting stuff and awesome memes go here!

• :nerd_face: Interesting stuff and memes
  • :thinking: How do I?
  • :bug: Bug reports
1 Like

haha I love having a subcategory for memes :heart:

@orballo’s idea!

1 Like

After talking with Rodrigo I think we should reduce the number of subcategories and add more later once we learn how people are using the forum. Based on that my suggestion is:

:frontity: Framework Design

:hugs: Development Talk

Confused? Getting a weird error? Got a nice article? Interesting memes?

:beetle: Bugs

Formal bug reports of the framework, official extensions or themes go here.

Love Frontity? Let’s spread the word.

Discussions about the community, this forum, events, socializing…

:open_book: Showcases

Show your awesome site to the world.

2 Likes

I feel it is a good approach. I think that when we talked to Carlos from OSW he told us that they had a lot of Slack channels but many of them were not being used by the users so they closed them. So we can start with these categories and iterate according to users demands.

I agree with Mario :+1:

Great :muscle:

We forgot to add a place for the documentation!

:frontity: Framework Design

:open_book: Docs and Tutorials

Discussions about how to improve the documentation or create guides and tutorials.

:hugs: Development Talk

Confused? Getting a weird error? Want to share an article? Interesting memes?

:beetle: Bugs

Formal bug reports of the framework, official extensions or themes go here.

Love Frontity? Let’s spread the word.

Discussions about the community, this forum, events, socializing…

:clapper: Showcases

Show your awesome site to the world.