WP Engine Headless Framework

I’ve been taking a look at the new WP Engine Headless framework.

I recorded an overview in case you are curious:

I don’t have a strong opinion about it, to be honest. By this first look, it looks to me like a nice abstraction of the WP data management required to make a theme with NextJS.

My only wonder is if they have plans of adding a more complex plugin/extensibility system, or they only want to provide an abstraction of the WP data for NextJS applications.

1 Like

Thank you Luis for the roundup! :relaxed:

I wanted to check it out as well, to see how they handle the whole data layer, over fetching and the graphql waterfall. I have zero background on WordPress for next.js but to me looks like they’ve basically jumped through hoops to get to a place where frontity has already been and established good practices.

Now, I am wondering if this more a proof of concept for them than a real framework. Something to get some more visibility and hands-on experience into the whole ecosystem?

Do they have a sumarise of what problems they’ve attempted to solve? i know David was saying something about a white paper but it’s really really old.

That’s a good point. Maybe we should ask them :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, this is the white paper but it is from 2017: https://wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Headless-WordPress-on-WP-Engine_white-paper.pdf