WP Engine Headless Framework

I’ve been taking a look at the new WP Engine Headless framework.

I recorded an overview in case you are curious:

I don’t have a strong opinion about it, to be honest. By this first look, it looks to me like a nice abstraction of the WP data management required to make a theme with NextJS.

My only wonder is if they have plans of adding a more complex plugin/extensibility system, or they only want to provide an abstraction of the WP data for NextJS applications.

1 Like

Thank you Luis for the roundup! :relaxed:

I wanted to check it out as well, to see how they handle the whole data layer, over fetching and the graphql waterfall. I have zero background on WordPress for next.js but to me looks like they’ve basically jumped through hoops to get to a place where frontity has already been and established good practices.

Now, I am wondering if this more a proof of concept for them than a real framework. Something to get some more visibility and hands-on experience into the whole ecosystem?

Do they have a sumarise of what problems they’ve attempted to solve? i know David was saying something about a white paper but it’s really really old.

That’s a good point. Maybe we should ask them :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, this is the white paper but it is from 2017: https://wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Headless-WordPress-on-WP-Engine_white-paper.pdf

Local now has support for Node :clap::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It adds the WP Engine framework by default. I haven’t tried replacing that with Frontity but I guess it should be possible.

I made another video showing it.

Loom cut off the first minute, I don’t know why, but the useful information is still in the video.

By the way, we talked with Jason Cohen about this and it turns out that they are not planning on building something extensible that can be a replacement of PHP themes, but instead a data layer on top of NextJS for Enterprise customers who:

• Need to build websites where WordPress is not the only data source.
  • Are already using a NextJS application or planning on building one.
  • Already have a team of NextJS/React experts.

I think that it makes a lot of sense and I am glad to see more additions to the Headless WP ecosystem :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes