What is the best/easiest way to add a 2nd menu to the site?

Hello all,

I am working on my first project with Frontity right now, and enjoying it.

My question is, is there an easy way to add a 2nd menu? Can I add that into frontity.settings in a 2nd menu array? I am looking to add a 2nd menu to a sidebar I am building that will just display individual post categories.

Thank you!!

Hi @matthewbertweb

Welcome to the community. Great that you’re trying out Frontity for the first time.

Yes you can add a 2nd menu, either in frontity.settings.js or in the theme’s index.js file. Assuming you’re using mars-theme for your first project, you will need to create another component similar to the one in nav.js to handle the 2nd menu.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you get on. We’d also love to know what you’re planning to build with Frontity.

1 Like

@mburridge thank you for the help. I will work on that now and see what I can do.

I’m pretty sure you’re the same person on twitter who helped convince me to give Frontity a try.

My project is to take this idea - mentalgeek.netlify.com and use WP for the content. Right now that is built in Gatsby and just using MDX for the blogs. That site wasn’t even finished, but I quickly realized how MDX was not practical for what I am trying to do.

So I am essentially building a similar layout, but with better styling and more content. The 2nd menu I am going to build is to display post categories in the sidebar.

2 Likes

Yup, that was me. :smile: Great to see you here, and great to see that you’re trying out Frontity. Look forward to seeing your progress in your project.

1 Like

It’s going great! I did get the 2nd Menu added really fast, so thanks for the help. I just copied everything from the Nav component and changed “menu” to “category” and problem solved. Just working on the rest of it now.

Also, I see a deployment guide in the docs for using Vercel. Could I deploy to Netlify the same way if I wanted to use that instead?

1 Like

Hi @matthewbertweb

We currently recommend Vercel because they have caching and CDN integrated into their hosting.

I haven’t tried it myself but I believe some people have experienced problems with setting up a cache on Netlify, resulting in things being a bit sub-optimal in the speed department.

By all means give it a go on Netlify, and we’d love to hear about it if you figure out a solution.

1 Like