Recommended Hosting for Frontity App

Hello,

What is the recommended hosting for a Frontity app?

It looks like Vercel is recommended, looking at the docs: https://docs.frontity.org/deployment/deploy-using-vercel

1 Like

And what about a hosting service that can have apache and node on the same server? This way only one service is required

@EpicWebs is right. Currently, our recommended hosting is Vercel as it is serverless, cheap, includes CDN, and really easy to set up.

That’s a good idea if you want to use the embedded mode of Frontity. For that, you would need to use the Frontity Embedded Mode - [Proof of Concept], which is a WordPress plugin that replaces the theme and embeds Frontity instead.

As its name says, it is a proof of concept, although it works fine, you can give it a try.

If you don’t use that plugin and you still want to use the same machine a node.js server and an apache server, note that you would have to configure a reverse-proxy, as both servers would share the same domain name.

What if you had WP installed on a subdomain and used the root for the frontity site, would that work?

1 Like

Hi @pmriley21,

Welcome to the Community!

Yes, of course. When having both WordPress (PHP) and Frontity (Node.js) in the same server the solutions addresed by @David must be taken into account

Regarding domains, you could have WordPress (PHP) and Frontity (Node.js) in different servers sharing the domain (but under different subdomains)

The most simple (and cheapest) architecture for a Fronttiy project is:

Hope this helps

As someone who’s new to JavaScript and react I find it really ironic that a language designed to improve user experience is so user unfriendly to deploy :joy:

Surely someone has come up with an easier way to do this?

Hi @russell,

Any specific thing you find challenging?

Hi @kasper as a newbie to the idea of headless wordpress I’m more familiar with the ‘traditional’ idea of loading files to a server via FTP but these days I don’t even need to do this with dedicated wordpress hosting companies - a simple click of a button and wordpress is installed for me!

Being very new to javascript, react etc (i’m teaching myself javascript at the moment) I’m struggling with the idea that i have to run command line instructions to install this bit of code and then another to install something else. Then I have to create a certain file and run that and it’s going to do something else… :man_shrugging:

It just strikes me as ironic that a development methodology designed to improve user experience is so hard to use! Surely someone can come up with a simple one-click wordpress install on one hosting account and the frontify files on another that are already connected and ready to develop from?

Hi @russell.

I did the same thing a year or so ago, teach myself js and react. I actually found it quite easy to learn when using frontity. When it comes to the last part, regarding easy deployment, it should be easy to start. If you have a hosting company that you have used before, you can use them for the wp part now as well.

And the only thing you need to get started with frontity is to run the command npx frontity create my-first-frontity-project. When you do that, it takes you through a setup wizard in the terminal and tells you what to do when you are done. And, when the project is set up, all you need to do is change the source in the setting.frontity.js, to point to your wp install.

I know that it can be hard to rewire your thought process to work with a new language and framework, I know because I had to do the same. But working with a project like this, and handling the challenges that you face when there is something you don’t know, is a really good learning experience, and it will help you learn faster.

I recommend this Quick start guide as a good place to begin. Good luck! And of course, if you run into any challenges that you need help with, use the community for all it is worth! :slight_smile:

Hi @kasper I’m really enjoying the challenge of learning something new I’m just struggling with the idea that I have to run commands lines in a terminal - do I run a terminal on my mac or on the hosting control panel? What happens if it doesn’t work - where can I get help for this? When I try these commands something always seems to go wrong so i’m having to debug the commands or there’s something else that I need to do first.

I’ve read through the quick start guide but it feels like all of these guides seems to assume a certain initial knowledge whereas I have none!

Just feels like there’s a really steep learning curve with all of this. :sweat_smile:

Hi @russell

I see. Well, you need to run these commands on the Mac terminal. All the frontity dev is done in localhost. So when you follow the guide, it will start a development server on your machine. You need node.js installed to run the commands.

If you have any questions you should ask them here. Make a new thread if there is something new, but try to search for a solution before. Most likely, others doing the same as you, have had the same questions and problems. :slight_smile:

That’s very helpful thank you @kasper - at least I know i’m on the right track.
I may be jumping ahead a bit but if i’m doing all the development locally how do I view the site i’m building and then how do I publish it to a web server? Is it just a case of loading files like I’m used to or do I have to run command lines in a terminal again?

@russell You can view the site as you edit it. When you have made the project and added your wp install as the source, you have to go to the project folder in the terminal, and run npx frontity dev. That is going to start a dev server, and the site is now available on the browser, it should open by itself. If not, the URL is usually http://localhost:3000 :slight_smile:

I wrote about deploying here:

@kasper ah ok that makes more sense. Thank you

@kasper thanks to your help today i’ve just got my first install running!

:sunglasses:

@russell wonderful! :smiley: