MindMap: Roadmap Project Stack Decision Making

Hi guys,

Here you have the Roadmap Project Stack Decision Making

The Goals of this MindMap are:

• Show topics involved when deciding a Stack from scratch and deciding using WordPress + Frontity taking into account the alternatives
  • Show questions that should be clarified when convincing others on using Frontity
  • Show decision making path starting from the lowest level

Here you have the link of the Notion page where you can download the .exceldraw file and some more explanations about this MindMap

https://www.notion.so/frontity/Roadmap-Project-Stack-Decision-Making-8131276d1be24ca09a5783a97d1363d6

We’ll continue working on this MindMap but I’d love to know your opinion about it and if you can think on more topics that should be included in this MindMap

2 Likes

Hi @juanma!

Nice work. I’d like to add my feedback and some suggestions regarding this.

In the “Headless WordPress” concept, I would add a question like this:

• What do I need to consider when going headless?

I think it would be interesting to address some of the challenges that users have to deal with and face when moving to a headless WP setup. For example: What happens with SEO? Plugin compatibility? How this impact the editorial experience? It would be great of course to explain how Frontity solves them (but I guess this should be addressed in the Frontity section).

In the “Frontity” part, besides what is Frontity, how it works and its approach to solve the most common headless WP challenges, I’d add:

• What skills / knowledge do I need to work with Frontity?

• Why and when Frontity and not Next.js?

Apart from the benefits of Frontity over Next.js (why), it would be interesting to add when (in which type of projects or situations Frontity also makes more sense).

• Why and when Frontity and not Gatsby?

Since it’s one of the most frequently asked questions, apart from the advantages of SSR vs using a SSG, I think I would add a specific one about Gatsby too.

Great work. I love the mind map approach :clap:

The only thing that I find confusing is the use of the term SSR (server-side rendering) versus SSG (static site generator) because the static site generators also have server-side rendering. The difference between those approaches is that the server-side rendering is done at build-time in SSG and at runtime in dynamic frameworks like Frontity.

By the way, I’m curious: is this going to be an on-going project? I mean, would you keep adding more stuff to that drawing over time, or is it a one-time research? :slightly_smiling_face:

I see, I thought the general perception of SSR would be what we’re calling “Dynamic Rendering” but I think you’re right. This is the update I’ve done on that part of the MindMap taking your feedback into account

is this going to be an on-going project? I mean, would you keep adding more stuff to that drawing over time, or is it a one-time research?

I’d like this to be an on-going project that we can use as a reference when providing support, working on talks, creating content for the community and so on. As long as we detect (from questions or feedback received) new areas to cover we can include them in the mindmap

2 Likes

Thanks @Reyes for your feedbck

I have added your suggestions in the WordPress part

I have also added your suggestions in the React part

1 Like

Awesome :slightly_smiling_face:

For context, this is what Gatsby is explaining about their SSR in their docs:

2 Likes