How to use alexadark/frontity-starter-theme?

Hello, I am working on integrating this theme into a new project of mine and I’m having an issue which I hope someone can help with. I’m trying to create a home page and a blog page like you might have in a regular Wordpress installation. I’ve done it with the other themes (Mars and Twenty Nineteen), but I can’t seem to get it to work with this theme. I’m still very new to React so maybe it is something super easy, but any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @ShaGui :wave:

Do you have a specific problem that I could help you with here? :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @mmczaplinski, thanks for moving the conversation here, I thought I should have probably done so, but I wasn’t sure.

Anyways, on to my question. As stated above, I’m trying to create a static home page and a blog page which is really just an archive page to show the posts. I was able to get this done in the Twenty Nineteen theme and the Mars Theme, but I can’t seem to get it to work in the frontity-starter-theme by Alexadark.

I’m very new to React so maybe I am missing something but I couldn’t figure it out. Thank you in advance for any help that you can offer :slight_smile:

Hey @ShaGui !

I’m happy to help, but I would need you to be a bit more specific with the problem that you are having :slightly_smiling_face:

Maybe this will help - please let me know:

1. What have you tried so far?
  2. Is there a specific error message that you get stuck on?
  3. Do you have a public repository which I could clone and take a look / Can you post a snippet of code with your problem?
3 Likes

Hey! So I just need to get access to my work that was on another computer to create a repository on Github. With that being, I am just using Alexa Dark’s Frontity Starter Theme and have changed nothing but the styling so far. In the Mars Theme, I had just added (data.isHome && <Home />) || and I believe that It had worked in creating a separate home page.

Just wanted to add that my repository is https://github.com/Tikio88/Parlee-Digital

1 Like

Hey, pretty sure you might already be working on it, but just noticed one thing on your site Parlee Digital - in dark mode, the loading icon (between page transitions) is not seen (since it is also black). It can be converted to white once dark mode is turned on.
Btw nice progress!

Edit: Oops, I thought this will be as a comment on the post, not a separate reply on the thread. My bad!

Haha no worries! Thank you for the reply and the feedback! The website is most definitely a work in progress, but I hadn’t though of the loading icon when in Dark Mode. I’ll add that to my to do list :grin: Major thing is to route separate Components for a Home page, a Blog page and have pages separate from the Posts as they all have the same look currently and I want pages to be a bit more custom.

2 Likes

Just wanted to give an update. I also tried to add a component to separate my Posts from my Pages but I wasn’t able to figure that out either… I’m still learning about React so maybe I am missing something. That being said, I think my issue may have to do with the “helpers” in the Frontity Starter Theme, which is something I have not seen in the other themes.

Thanks for any help in advance :slight_smile:

Just an update! I solved one of my main issues of showing separating the Blog page and the home page and creating a static Home page! It was all because of a stupid mistake that I had made! I had typed "homePage": "/home" instead of "homepage": "/home" in the Frontity Settings.

With that being said, now I am trying to figure out how I can separate page from post components in the Frontity Starter Theme so I can have a different look for both. I may figure it out, but if anyone has some tips it would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Hi @ShaGui

Just checking in to see if you still need help with this or if you managed to figure it out? Perhaps @alexaspalato who authored this theme could chime in here.

Sorry for the late reply. I did figure out my issue and I have it up and running now :slight_smile: I now just need to finish the content which always takes a while as I need to create it… That being said, I will make sure to share the finished product once it is complete. I also have 2 more projects on Frontity on the go, so I will be sure to share those as well once they are complete.

4 Likes

Can’t wait to see your projects, Shaun! :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great Shaun :blush: