Google Lighthouse - poor scores for test site using mars theme

Hi all,

I’m looking to use Frontity for a new project and the client has a keen eye on performance and Google Lighthouse scores.

I’ve spun up a test app using the default mars theme and I’m a bit shocked at the poor performance score this receives in Lighthouse (33 on desktop).

All of the core web vitals are very slow (> 5s) and the I’m also surprised at the side of the network payload - 5.5MB which includes no images.

I thought Frontity was all about performance, so am I missing something here? I’d really like to use it but I didn’t expect the scores out of the box to be so poor.

Thanks all :smile:

Alex

Hi @alex,

That has got to be wrong. I have buildt a frontity site with a lot more code than the mars theme, and i score 100 in the dekstop test and 96 on the mobile test. Frontity is blazing fast.

desktop mobile

Do you have a link to the site? Where do you host it?

Hi @kasper

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s good to know and I’m very impressed with your Lighthouse scores.

I have solved one problem since my post actually and I am getting a much better score now, but still 5.0s on time to interactive:

This is being served on localhost.

I have literally just started with Frontity so have loads of reading to do but is there a reason why the my-app.module.js file is so huge? It’s 5.2MB.

I was just after peace of mind that the scores I was getting with the test app weren’t typical, but you have reassured me on that.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi @alex,

I just did a test on localhost, and got a 60. So testing in localhost is wrong. I’m not sure about the size of the package, i get the same error. I believe that has something to do with the dev build, and that it is optimized in the prod build.

In my localhost test, the file in question is 9 572 KiB, but in the live site, it is only 240 KiB.

Hi @kasper

Thanks for the reply - that all makes sense and is reassuring. Just wanted to make sure that there was a reason behind the scores I was seeing.

Looking forward to progressing with my first build.

Thanks,

Alex

1 Like

Hi @alex,

You’re welcome. Good luck, looking forward to seeing it!

-Kasper

1 Like