Difference between Frontity & Gatsby

Hi

I get a lot of questions on the differences between Frontity and Gatsby,
and questions like which is better.

I know that we already got that explained here.

However is it possible to add the use cases for both with a side by side comparison of their features.
The idea is to guide anyone who needs to decide which one of these would be best according to their needs.

Then we can just share that link for similar questions in future.

Hey @imranhsayed!

Thanks for pointing this out. I’m going to quote a twitter thread made by @luisherranz not long ago, where he explained our main differences with Gatsby.

1. Frontity is 100% focused on WordPress.
This means the number of concepts to learn are minimal, it doesn’t need any complex configuration to get you started and the APIs that WordPress developers use to create themes are tailored for the things they usually need.

2. It’s rendered dynamically.
This means people don’t have to rebuild the HTML each time they modify or publish something. Our preferred approach is SPR (https://zeit.co/blog/serverless-pre-rendering…) although there are many ways to configure it. It’s as fast as a static site, see the example: https://mars.frontity.org

3. It’s opinionated
It has its own state manager and CSS solution. Thanks to that people don’t need to learn things like Redux and at the same time it powers a very flexible extensibility pattern, more similar to the one of WordPress itself than to the rest of JS frameworks.

We have a section inside our documentation covering this matter, but I agree that it would be a good idea to improve it comparing different use cases and features.

2 Likes

Hi Imran!

Thanks for your feedback! I am thinking about writing a post to make a comparison of both frameworks, the difference between server side rendered and statically generated, and when to use each of them. So maybe it helps! I’m not sure yet when I will able to work on it, but I’ll keep you posted. :slight_smile:

Hey @Pablo !

So my little question is that which one is best for us?
GatsbyJS or Frontity?

Hey @HardikDevani

It’s difficult to answer your question without having a little more context. What are you trying to build? What are your needs? Who’s gonna use your WordPress? Are build times a limitation for you?

Thank you for reply @Pablo

basically if we create informative site with - CF7, Yoast SEO, Testimonial Slider, Logo Slider, 15-20 pages, Post-page(Category sorting) etc…

In this type of requirement, how can we decide that which one is best for front-end development like Gatsby or Frontity?
In Frontity all type of Customization is possible?

@Pablo please reply as soon as Possible

Thank you.

Hi @HardikDevani

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you on this. The holidays got in the way! :man_shrugging:

Any kind of site can be built with Frontity, and from your description it sounds like Frontity will be ideal.

The main differences are:

1. Frontity is 100% focused on WordPress:
This means the number of concepts to learn are minimal, it doesn’t need any complex configuration to get you started and the APIs that WordPress developers use to create themes are tailored for the things they usually need.

2. Frontity is rendered dynamically:
This means people don’t have to rebuild the HTML each time they modify or publish something. Our preferred approach is SPR (https://zeit.co/blog/serverless-pre-rendering…) although there are many ways to configure it. It’s as fast as a static site: https://mars.frontity.org

3. Frontity is opinionated and extensible like WordPress:
It has its own state manager and CSS solution. Thanks to that people don’t need to learn things like Redux and at the same time it powers a very flexible extensibility pattern, more similar to the one of WordPress itself than to the rest of JS frameworks.

In addition, there is no need to learn GraphQL or the REST API. The data is available to you using Frontity’s built-in State Manager.

We think Gatsby is an amazing framework, we’ve learned a lot from it, and the things it does it does really really well. It’s just that Frontity has a different approach in certain aspects.

I hope this helps you in making your choice and we look forward to seeing what you build if you do end up choosing Frontity. We’d also love to see your site finished in our showcase page.