Customize Webpack configuration

3 posts were split to a new topic: Support for mp4 videos

I’ve read that Webpack has relative path aliasing baked in. My workflow breaks from the mars-theme example and nests files pretty deep and this is definitely something that could save a lot of headache.

resolve: {
  alias: {
     '@common': path.resolve(__dirname, ‘src/components/common/’),
     '@images': path.resolve(__dirname, ‘src/assets/images/’)
  }
}
1 Like

@mhigley,

I found to make Frontity support the module aliases, was by digging into the webpack-config of Frontity and making the change there (node_modules/@frontity/core/dist/src/config/webpack/resolve.js).

In order to automate this, I have added a postinstall-script to the package.json which manipulates this file.

scripts{
    "postinstall": "node scripts/extend-frontity-aliases.js"
}

I created a file “scripts/extend-frontity-aliases.js”

// Make alias work for frontity
const fs = require("fs");
const path = require("path");

const alias = `Components: "${path.resolve(
  __dirname,
  "../packages/mars-theme/src/components"
)}",`;

const utils = `Utils: "${path.resolve(
  __dirname,
  "../packages/mars-theme/src/utils"
)}",`;

const sampledata = `SampleData: "${path.resolve(__dirname, "../sampledata")}",`;

// Read the original file
const originalResolveJS = fs.readFileSync(
  "node_modules/@frontity/core/dist/src/config/webpack/resolve.js",
  "utf-8"
);

// Insert alias line
const lines = originalResolveJS.split("\n");
const index = lines.findIndex(line => line.includes("alias: {"));
lines.splice(index + 1, 0, alias);
lines.splice(index + 1, 0, utils);
lines.splice(index + 1, 0, sampledata);

// Write back modified file
fs.writeFileSync(
  "node_modules/@frontity/core/dist/src/config/webpack/resolve.js",
  lines.join("\n")
);

:warning: This is a pretty extreme hack and I would not recommend moving forward with these custom aliases until Frontity supports e.g. extending its webpack config.

1 Like

Hey guys :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, we are going to support customizing Webpack via a frontity.config.js file, but that may still take a while.

Regarding alias, my personal recommendation is to avoid them. We’ve used them in the past but they generate more problems than benefits when you need to import the code in someplace different, like for example unit testing the code or publishing the code in npm.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: How to use Emotion Theming

4 posts were split to a new topic: Vercel and webp images

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Integrating ThreeJS on Frontity

Maybe time to switch to https://github.com/evanw/esbuild 100x faster.

I’m working on something that requires customizing the webpack config and adding a new entry point.

I’ve started looking into this, however the way frontity imports packages and settings is still not quite clear to me, is there a good place to start looking at? I have followed the code that merges the config and imports the main frontity.settings.ts but I’m missing some of the magic: i.e when and where frontity imports packages and its settings. Any FD or PR that you guys can point me to would be greatly appreciated.

I can show you that in a call if you want, and then we can publish the video here so it is helpful for the Feature Discussion itself.

What do you think?

Sure, that would be great!

Awesome. I’ll send you a message :slightly_smiling_face:

This is the meeting we had, with a summary of how the dev and build scripts generate the client and server bundles, and with an special emphasis on the Webpack configuration and how we thought packages should be able to extend that configuration.

It also has an explanation of a changes we plan to do: Instead of generating the all the client bundles for all the sites in a single Webpack run, use a single Webpack run for each site.

These are the drawings: Excalidraw | Hand-drawn look & feel • Collaborative • Secure

1 Like

@nicholasio.oliveira: could you please add a small explanation about the use case of Webpack extensibility that you need? Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi there,

I need to add this to the webpack file

module: {
  rules: [
    {
      exclude: [/node_modules\/(?!(swiper|dom7)\/).*/, /\.test\.js(x)?$/],
      test: /\.js(x)?$/,
      use: [{ loader: 'babel-loader' }],
    }
  ],
}

Could you please point me to the right direction?

Thanks,
Jeff

Hey @jeffceirello :wave:

This is the webpack file that contains the module definition: frontity/modules.ts at dev · frontity/frontity · GitHub

You can patch it using patch-package - npm if you want.

I’ve started looking into this and recorded a small video to get some early feedback.

1 Like

I love it! :heart::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

My only feedback would be to use a named export in the frontity.config.js file, to be able to add more stuff in the future:

// frontity.config.js
export const webpack = ({ ... }) => ...

Other than that, it looks great!

By the way, we also had a FD to customize babel configuration (Customize Babel configuration). But maybe we can close that for now, because configuring Babel will be possible using this:

// frontity.config.js
export const webpack = ({ config }) => {
  const babel = config.module.rules.find(
    (rule) => rule.use.loader === "babel-loader"
  ).options;

// Add a new plugin.
  babel.plugins.push("my-own-babel-plugin");
};

The other option would be to get the frontity.config files at this point: frontity/index.ts at dev · frontity/frontity · GitHub and run the babel config through an babel exports of the frontity.config.js files:

// frontity.config.js
export const babel = ({ config }) => {
  // Add a new plugin.
  config.plugins.push("my-own-babel-plugin");
};

Then, pass the babel config to getWebpack() and run the webpack config through the webpack exports of the frontity.config.js files.

What do you think?

Another question that comes to my mind is if we should pass target as a parameter of the function, or pass a config object with all targets:

export const webpack = ({ config, target }) => {
  // Add something only on the server.
  if (target === "server") {
    config.someConfig = "...";
  }

// Add something only on the client.
  if (target !== "server") {
    config.someOtherConfig = "...";
  }
};
export const webpack = ({ config }) => {
  // Add something only on the server.
  config.server.someConfig = "...";
  // Add something only on the client.
  config.module.someOtherConfig = "...";
  config.es5.someOtherConfig = "...";
};

Same for babel (if we add it).

EDIT: Nevermind, passing target as a function argument as you did seems much nicer.

Oh you are right! That’s a good call.

Indeed, that’s doable. Wondering how often would someone need to only adjust the babel configuration and not the whole config? :thinking: On the flip side, having to walk the webpack config only to get to the babel loader it’s painful. Gonna test it out.