Automatic Platform Optimization Cloudflare

Hi,
How does this affect a Frontity installation if this is done to the WordPress installation?

Hi @Kent,

This is actually great news! With this service, HTML generated by WordPress can be also cached by this layer improving a lot the response time.

This service is similar to what other companies are already providing like Strattic & Shifter

This reinforces the idea we have that the performance of a site doesn’t really have to do with the platform chosen to create the site (Wordpress vs Gatsby vs Frontity, for example) but with a good cache strategy

And this Cloudflare’s APO will work perfectly fine with the new Embedded Mode feature we have in our roadmap

With a good cache layer and Frontity you not only gain speed in your site but a better Developer Experience by creating your sites w/ React

1 Like

Nice, I will look into this :slight_smile:

1 Like

So the new WordPress Embedded plugin shall make it easier for new users to install Frontity?

But I see it says “Users should keep in mind that there is more routing involved (it goes to WordPress, then Frontity, then WordPress outputs the HTML), so they must use a cache plugin or it will be very slow. Good news is that with these approach the cache can be done with WordPress plugins, which know when to invalidate it intelligently.”

Do you mean that it needs to be on the same domain to utilize the new Cloudflare feature?

Does this mean that having it on its own domain or subdomain will not work?

Hi @Kent

Great Questions! :blush:

I think it will be a bit easier to implement, yes. Frontiy will still require a NodeJs to work but the WordPress domain can be kept the same and lots of plugins in most of WordPress installations will continue working the same (cache, redirections, …)

This new Cloudflare feature will work at some point for both Fronttiy modes (Decoupled Mode and Embedded mode)

As they say at the end of the article

We plan to bring these same capabilities to other popular platforms used for web hosting.

But, right now, as it works only for WordPress it will only work in Embedded Mode. And with the Embedded mode is WordPress who is in charge of responding to requests made to the main domain

I think it will work no matter if you manage a domain or subdomain in your WordPress installation.

2 Likes

Where in the roadmap is this currently?

When is it set for release?

The feature discussion has the status “Needs Research” which means it still needs to be defined. There are some proof of concepts created but I guess it still needs more definition before entering into a development phase.

Here you have s scheme explaining the meaning of each status of Feature Discussions so you can have a better idea of how close (or far) a Feature Discussion is from being released

https://community.frontity.org/c/feature-discussions/33

Feel free to join the discussion and ask about the specific details of FD and its current status, and maybe help in its definition/development.

1 Like