Pantheon’s Decoupled Bridge

Does anyone have any information on how to set up Frontity with Pantheon’s Decoupled Bridge ?

can you also elaborate whats the main difference from this:

Hi @Kent,

Pantheon’s Decoupled Bridge It’s a new service they’re offering so for now I think you’ll need to contact them so they can help with this implementation.

What Pantheon is offering is the service for having both type of servers needed for a Fronttiy project (PHP for WordPress and Node.js for Fronttiy rendering engine) in their servers. This setup requires some nginx configuration so the requests are properly handled by the proper server so they’ll take care of this too

The SpinupWP service from Delicious Brains guys, is an UI interface to implement a similar service but with a custom IaaS (Infraestructure as a Service) like Digital Ocean. I haven’t tested this yet but it seems it helps you to centralize the installations/configurations and to define/launch deployments for this Headless WordPress (PHP server) + Frontity (Node server) stack

Hope this helps

But I really like the Multidev/Dev, Test, and Live functionality on Pantheon’s systems.

Gives you a better overview and control of test and production / Live environment.

I also like the Pantheon CDN, HTTPS certificates etc.

1 Like

@Kent I agree with you, Pantheon is awesome. We even have different WordPress+Frontity deployments for each pull request now! It’s crazy :smile:

And their CDN and caching strategy is also awesome, with smart invalidations not only for the HTML but also for the REST API.

The Decoupled Bridge is in “Early Access” state. It means it is working, but not open to the public yet, so you have to write to them if you want to use it and they will give you access manually.

You can use this form: https://pantheon.io/decoupled-cms#survey

2 Likes

I have tried to reach out to them… we’ll see if we get it up and running… We are building an advanced platform with Frontity so I’m eager to have an environment like this :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Hi,

I was reading this:

and was wondering how you now are using pantheon.io`s DEV, TEST, and LIVE environments when editing with Gutenberg??

Do you edit with Gutenberg in DEV, then push to test, and last to live?

Can you explain a bit how you do your workflow pushing code to Git, coding, testing and adding pages, etc.?

Ps: I have not heard back from pantheon.io´s Decoupled Bridge team yet…

@SantosGuillamot I think you are the one with more experience with that :slightly_smiling_face:

As we are using the Embedded mode proof of concept, we can use the preview feature included there to ensure everything is okay. This means that if we are just editing/adding content in Gutenberg, we usually make the changes directly in Live. Then you can fetch the Live database from Dev, or any Multidev branch, when you want to change the code. If the change is too big, sometimes we have also used the full workflow Branch -> Dev -> Test -> Live.

Regarding code changes, if we are making changes to the WordPress side, we always try to start from a branch in a Pantheon Multidev environment, and make sure it has the latest content from the Live environment (when you create a new branch in Pantheon you have the option to clone the database). We test there everything that needs to be tested manually and then push to Dev -> Test -> Live.

If we are making changes to the Frontity side, we create a Pull Request and with GitHub actions we are doing a new deploy to Vercel automatically. It creates a new url per Pull Request, pointing to the Pantheon Live environment. There we can check if everything works as expected.

We are exploring different alternatives to have both WordPress and Frontity in the same repo. This way the workflow would be even better, and we can connect each change in Frontity or WordPress to its respective Pantheon/Vercel environment.

It would be also great to create a bunch of tests because we are checking it manually right now, but we haven’t done that yet in the frontity.org repo.

Regarding adding new pages, as we add them from Gutenberg and we have the possibility to preview drafts, we use that as explained previously.

1 Like

Thank you guys, I really appreciate all the help… and this gave me a better understanding of how you guys are doing things… I was pretty sure it was something like this, but thought it was better to ask to be completely sure :smiley: :+1:

Hopefully, others also find my questions useful…

2 Likes

Can anyone disclose the pricing they got from Pantheon? Decoupled seems like it starts at $5k/year from what I’ve been able to gather so far.