Categories, Tags and Author archive gone to 404 error

Hi,
I’ve a problem, every archive is going to 404 error.

I’ve tried with a blank WordPress installation, with an old one and with your testing one.
Yours is fully working, but the other two won’t work.

I don’t understand what’s wrong, one of them is a clean installation with few articles and taxonomies.
Maybe is the language? (Italian)

I’ve left the permalinks to default, I’ve tried with mars-theme and twentytwenty.
Still 404, but your test blog is fully working.

edit
Even the search page isn’t working, if I try to search for something I gotta back a blank page.

Hi @matteo.morreale! :wave:

I’m afraid I would need a bit more information in order to be able to help you.
For example:

1. Are there any errors appearing in the firefox/chrome console when you navigate to the pages?
  2. Could you verify that your WP API at https://your.website/wp-json is working correctly by fetching data from that url?

edit
I’ve find out the problem in the local installation, the plugin REST API - Head Tags, that had been suggested in another post, breaks the category view.

While on other online sites, I think that it’s or a CORS problem mutuated with a problem with the category base.

Why the CORS problem is happening, it’s intriguing.
Would be natural to me if CORS keeps happening at every interaction, but this happens only with a link following action. If I reload the page on a category url, all works fine and that’s really strange.

The category base problem instead happens even in the local installation, so if I change the category base from “category” to “cat”, frontity cannot retrieve the data.

Hi, this is the screen from a category view:

Same for the author archive page.

On the terminal I got this error:
Error: post type from endpoints “posts,pages,media” with slug “muoversi-a-napoli” not found
at Object.eval (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/@frontity/wp-source/src/libraries/handlers/postType.ts:8:21)
at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)
at eval (webpack-internal:///./node_modules/@frontity/wp-source/src/actions.ts:12:100)

The Search has a strange behavior.
If I search for something I gotta a blank page, maybe because of the CORS error (see screenshot below) but this happens even with a blank WordPress installation.

But the strange comes here, if I do a force reload to the page, results are shown but the CORS error is still here.

Hey @matteo.morreale, good catch. I’ve been able to reproduce the problem. It’s certainly something going on with the REST API - Head Tags plugin.

We’re going to investigate the issue, open a bug and solve it as soon as possible.

1 Like

Yep, but the category slug problem keeps happening even without the plugin so there are two different problems.

I’ve searched over the docs, but I cannot find it so I ask it here:
maybe there should be, in frontity settings file, a place where we can set the slug that Frontity has to use to fetch taxonomies, or maybe Frontity needs to ask WordPress for taxonomies in order to fetch them (https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/reference/taxonomies/#retrieve-a-taxonomy).

Example:
error with category slug “cat”

working fine with category slug “category”

Oh, yeah, you need to use categoryBase in state.source: https://docs.frontity.org/api-reference-1/wordpress-source#state-source-categorybase

state: {
  source: {
    categoryBase: "cat",
1 Like

Hey @matteo.morreale, we just released a new version of the WordPress plugin that fixes the CORS problems. This is the announcement :point_right: Bug fix release: REST API - Head Tags plugin (version 1.1.1)

Great, I’ve totally lost it in the docs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll try and I’ll let you know :wink:

1 Like