Adding related posts to post page template

I am trying to figure out how to pass data of all posts into the individual post page template. I can console the array containing all of the posts everywhere on the site except for in the post template. Does anyone have a solution or suggestion for this?

Hi @meaghan1

Can you provide a code sample showing what you’re trying to do, or better still a repo. Thanks.

Hi @mburridge it’s a little difficult to share the actual code as it is for work, I will share code that is similar though.

I am styling the blog posts in the Post component like here: How to Style Blog Page?

I would like to pull in the data of all posts, which I have tried by using:

const data = state.source.get(state.router.link);
console.log(data);

On a typical page, say the home page, the above code returns an array of posts. But when I use the same code above on the Post.js page, it only returns an object with current post data such as id, slug, post type. But I would like to be able to return the original post array that I can get on the home page. This is so that I can display a section of related posts in the Post.js component.

Hi @meaghan1

On the individual post page try using:

const data = state.source.get('/');

Let me know if that gives you what you want.

Ok, i tried that, but all i get is the following:

I don’t see the isPostArchive property there. Have you got your homepage set to a page? Like this in frontity.settings.js:

{
      "name": "@frontity/wp-source",
      "state": {
        "source": {
          "api": "https://mysite.com/wp-json",
          "homepage": "home",
          "postsPage": "blog"
        }
      }
    },

If so you will need to put in the path to the posts page, so something like this:

const data = state.source.get('/blog/');

Could you explain how the isPostArchive property is supposed to be listed?

My frontity.settings.js is:

{
      "name": "@frontity/wp-source",
      "state": {
        "source": {
          "api": "https://mysite.com/wp-json",
          "homepage": "/landing",
          "postsPage": "/blog"
        }
      }
    },

And when I use

it returns

Hi @meaghan1

The isPostArchive will be there if the page is a post archive, i.e. a blog listing page. I used /blog/ in my example, but you need to put the slug of whatever page is your blog listing page - i.e. whatever page you’ve defined as the Posts page in the WordPress admin Settings -> Reading page:

Hi @mburridge
I have it set as the following:

Is there more that i need to do to be able to view the data for all posts in the Post.js component? This is so I can show other related posts at the bottom of each post.

What are you getting now in the console from this code?

console.log(data);

I’m getting the same as before:

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 6.59.25 AM

Hi @meaghan1

OK, I tried it out locally and got the same as you. I did a bit of digging and this seems to work:

useEffect(() => {
    actions.source.fetch("/blog");
  }, []);

Add this in the component for the individual blog and then you should see the posts in the Frontity state.

Let me know if this does the trick for you.

Hi @mburridge,

That did return the list of posts for me, thank you so much!

I am noticing it only returns the id, link, and type. Is it possible to also return the categories?

Hi @meaghan1

Can you send a screengrab of what you’re seeing please. I’m getting all the post data in the state.