The Frontity Mission

Ok guys, Let’s talk about our mission!! :frontity::sunny:

My first proposals:

• Mission:
    Provide WordPress with an alternative rendering engine based on React. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity, openness and collaboration of WordPress itself. Embrace a thriving community of people who love WordPress and React.

• Opportunity:
    Don’t force users to choose between WordPress and React. Help WordPress catch up and compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives.

Not sure about how much we should mention both WordPress and React. This is a version without them:

• Mission:
    Provide a modern rendering engine for Headless CMS’s. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity, openness and collaboration. Embrace a thriving community of people who love the open web.

• Opportunity:
    Don’t force users to choose between their preferred CMS and the latest web technologies. Help open source CMS’s catch up and compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives.

It’s more open but less concise.

Let’s hear everybody’s opinions! :slight_smile:
@staff

In my opinion Frontity mission should go one step further from WordPress and React, so I wouldn’t mention them.

For example, although at this moment Frontity is going to be built on React, in case in the future the same framework is developed for Vue users, should the mission apply to it too? Or it would be related to another project? I don’t know about this, but if this is the case, I think the mission should be more general like in the second case.

This could be apply to Wordpress also, maybe Frontity wants to connect to another CMS in the future.

I am not used to mission definition so I don’t know about this. Is it common to use technical terms like Headless CMS while defining the mission?

Yes, technical terms can be used if necessary and I don’t think there are rules for this.

I think that the key point is that we feel strongly identified with the mission both as a company and as individuals.

We could get more inspirational, talking about the open web and the democratization of publishing like WordPress does.

Mission:
Keep publishing in the web open and democratic by providing a modern rendering engine for open source CMS’s so they can catch up and compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives. Users shouldn’t have to choose between their open source CMS and the amazing UIs that can be created with the latest web technologies. Build it on the principles of ease of use, simplicity, openness and collaboration while embracing a thriving community of people who love the open web.

I really like this phrase from Rocio Valdivia:

Future is cooperation, no competition :slight_smile:

I know that technical terms can be used to describe the mission, but in my opinion this is a bit complex. Also, the part of “keep publishing in the web open and democratic” is the final consequence, but not our primary mission.

In order to describe the mission we should think: WHY does this project exist?

My proposal is:

• To provide a rendering engine alternative for WordPress with the purpose of building modern and fast themes/user interfaces. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, and using open source technology.

I think “Embrace a thriving community of people who love WordPress and React” is not part of the mission itself and I would optionally add it at the end: “[…] Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself. Using open source technology and embracing a thriving community” (or something like this).

With this approach, as Jono Bacon’s book suggests, I think we cover the aims of the project:

• The kind of tool we wish to build: a rendering engine alternative for WordPress.
  • Its primary function: building modern and fast themes/user interfaces.
  • The principles of the project: ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress.
  • The scope of its approach: using open source technology.

If in the future we develop a framework for another CMS, it will be a different project, so the mission would change.

And regarding the opportunity my proposal is:

• To ease and revamp the approach to theme-building, extend what can be done with WordPress and help it compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives.

Not sure if I am correct with the technical approach (sorry if something does not make sense :sweat_smile:) but I wanted to let you know my point of view. Hope it helps!

1 Like

It would still be the same framework but I agree with you, it’s not the focus of the project so we will revisit our mission if this ever happens.

It’s great!

So the current proposal is:

Our Mission

To provide an alternative rendering engine for WordPress with the purpose of building modern and fast user interfaces. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community.

Opportunity

To ease and revamp the approach to theme-building, extend what can be done with WordPress and help it compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives.

Thoughts? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

:point_up_2: @Pablo, @David, @orballo Anything to say?

I like it.

2 Likes

It looks perfect to me! :metal:

1 Like

Hey!

Sorry to arrive late :slight_smile:

First of all, great job @luisherranz and @Reyes .

I’m not completely sure about including the “rendering engine” concept in the mission.

From my point of view what we are doing can also be explained like this:

• “Allow WordPress developers to use the latest web technologies with no effort”
  • “Create a bridge between WordPress and the latest web technologies”.
  • “Modernize state of WordPress frontend development”

What do you think about making the mission a bit more “generalistic” avoiding the rendering engine concept?

I’ve tried to adapt my proposal to your mission,

Modernize the state of WordPress frontend development, empowering developers to build modern and fast user interfaces. Our platform and tools are built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community.

But I feel like it’s not so mature like yours. In any case, if you think this approach makes senses we can iterate it a bit.

What do you think @Reyes and @luisherranz?

If you are afraid of committing to something that may not apply in the future, I won’t worry. Our mission should evolve over time.

I don’t see any problem in being more specific now to make our mission easier to understand, but I also like the idea of “a bridge” vs “a rendering engine”.

How about this?

Our Mission (with bridge)

Provide a bridge between WordPress and the latest web technologies to allow developers to build modern and fast user interfaces. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community.

Another thing I’m feeling after the WordCamp Madrid is that React is going to be in WordPress for the long run thanks to Gutenberg, so I’m thinking if it’d be easier to understand if we include it in the Mission.

Our Mission (with React)

Provide a bridge between WordPress and React to allow developers to build modern and fast user interfaces. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community.

Remember: The goal is that people reading this thinks “That’s what I want. I want to be part of that!”. If the mission is more abstract, we may lose some people.

1 Like

I prefer the React version.

Great @luisherranz now I like it a lot. The thing with the “rendering engine” it was not a matter of committing to something that may change in the future but of the level of complexity of the concept.

Regarding including React or not in the mission, I think we should definitely mention it. What do you think about this:

Provide a bridge between WordPress and the latest web technologies like React to allow developers to build modern and fast user interfaces. Built on the principles of ease of use, simplicity and collaboration of WordPress itself, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community.

Are we “only” a bridge between WordPress & React? I think we can go further.

In any case, I feel like we almost have it :smiley:

I feel that’s more ambiguous than simply the latest web technologies because it could lead to think that React is just one of the supported technologies and therefore Vue or Angular will also be supported.

Sure! Let’s go for something bigger :slight_smile:

You are right. It can be misleading, lets use your “React” proposal for the moment :wink:

1 Like

Hi all :slight_smile:

Last Friday when I was working on the new website and seeing more “About” pages to get inspired, I felt that our mission was still a bit ambiguous. For example:

Provide a bridge between WordPress and React

We can provide a bridge between WP and React in many ways, so I think we should be more specific here. This is my new proposal:

Mission:

Make building websites with WordPress and React easier and more accessible to all developers. Frontity framework is built on the principles of simplicity and collaboration, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community of people who love the open web.

Opportunity:

To ease the creation of WordPress-powered sites with modern tooling and help it compete with the emerging centralized and proprietary alternatives.

@luisherranz @Pablo @orballo @David @SantosGuillamot Thoughts? Any feedback is welcome.

Hey @Reyes I think your proposal is clearer than the previous one. In addition, I think that we could simplify even more our mission to just this:

Mission:
Make building websites with WordPress and React easier and more accessible to all developers.

The rest can be defined as our principles:

Principles
Frontity framework is built on the principles of simplicity and collaboration, while using open source technology and embracing a thriving community of people who love the open web.

1 Like

I like it :+1:

1 Like

Aanchal Bahadur has suggested us to aim for a more future-proof mission, something that truly represents our wider goals and not just the goal of the current Frontity Framework.

What do we want Frontity to be:

• We want Frontity to ease the use to the modern web technologies.
  • We want Frontity to ease the creation of delightful user experiences.
  • We want Frontity to be extended and improved by the community.
  • We want Frontity to be free and universally accesible.
  • We want Frontity to be used not only by devs but by non-technical users as well (in the future).

Feel free to add more : )

Today @Reyes @SantosGuillamot @luisherranz and I have been discussing how to evolve our mission into a more future-proof one.

Our starting point was the current mission “Make building websites with WordPress and React easier and more accessible to all developers”. We found that the mission was too tight to the current stage of our only product, these were some of the points that we discussed:

• We want to help anyone, not only developers.
  • Specific technologies (like React or WordPress) shouldn’t be part of the company mission
  • In the future is possible that we have more than one product, the mission should allow it.
  • Building websites is just one option, we want to help people build any kind of human-computer interface.

And this is the final result:

Frontity’s mission:
Make building delightful user experiences universally accessible

I think it is also interesting to mention what we understand by “user experience”.

User experience: The overall experience of a person using a product such as a website or computer application, especially in terms of how easy or pleasing it is to use.

2 Likes